Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken
Are you looking for a hassle-free and flavorful meal that will impress your family and friends? Look no further than this Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken recipe.
With just a few simple ingredients, and a slow cooker or crock pot, you can create a mouthwatering dish that will have everyone asking for secondds.
The combination of French onion soup and creamy sour cream adds a rich and savory flavor to the tender chicken.
Plus, this easy recipe is perfect for busy days as it can be prepared ahead of time and stores in the freezer for a quick and convenient meal.
Get ready to indulge in a comforting and delicious French onion dish that will become a new favorite for the whole family.
Ingredients for Crockpot French Onion Soup
To make this delicious slow cooker recipe, you’ll only need four main ingredients:
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- a can of condensed French onion soup
- sour cream
- garlic powder
My family prefers leaner meats, so we use chicken breasts here. But you can absolutely use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
And if you don’t have a can of French onion soup on hand, or if you prefer to avoid canned soups, you can use 1 can of beef brother and 3 tablespoons of my Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix (or 1 packet of store-bought French onion soup mix).
Preparing & Freezing This Crockpot French Onion Chicken Recipe
Preparing this easy dinner recipe is a breeze!
To start, in a medium bowl, gently whisk together your onion soup (or broth and soup mix), sour cream, and garlic powder.
Place your chicken breasts in a freezer-safe zip-top gallon bag.
Pour the contents of your onion soup mixture over the chicken in the bag.
Remove as much air as possible from the bag, and then seal it tight.
Label your bag with the name of the dish and the date it was made.
Then, place your bag flat in the freezer to freeze. That’s it!
Cooking Your French Onion Chicken Dish
The night before you’re ready to serve your Crock Pot French Onion Chicken, remove the frozen bag from your freezer and place it in your refrigerator to thaw overnight.
The next morning, empty the contents of your bag into your slow cooker or crock pot.
Set your slow cooker to cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. Or, you can set it to cook on high heat for 2-3 hours.
Make sure the internal temperature of your chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit before serving.
If your sauce has separated a bit during cooking, remove your chicken breasts and set them on a plate.
Then gently whisk the sauce in the slow cooker to bring it back together.
Add the chicken breasts back in and let them cook for 10 more minutes before serving.
The chicken should come out tender and infused with the delicious French onion flavors!
And you’ll have a beautiful, rich, and creamy sauce to go on top of your chicken.
Once your Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken is ready, here are some serving suggestions to complete your meal:
- Serving with mashed potatoes and a simple green salad: Use the sauce as a gravy for both your chicken and your potatoes. Yum!
- Or, alternatively, serve this dish over white rice or egg noodles: The flavorful chicken and cooked onions pair perfectly with rice or noodles, creating a satisfying and hearty dish.
- Add green beans or your favorite sides: Complete your meal by adding steamed green beans or your favorite sides to provide a balanced and nutritious complement to the chicken. A nice crusty bread goes incredibly well with this meal, too!
- Garnish with crispy fried onions: For an extra crunch and flavor boost, garnish your Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken with crispy fried onions. They add a delightful texture and enhance the overall onion taste.
- Top with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or some fresh thyme leaves for an extra burst of flavor.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken can be enjoyed for up to three days.
To reheat, simply microwave or warm it on the stovetop until heated through.
Yes, you can make this freezer meal with frozen chicken. Just be sure you do not let them sit out and thaw before you put your meal into the freezer.
You can make your own substitute with 1 can of beef broth and 3 tablespoons of homemade dry onion soup mix (or 1 store-bought packet of onion soup mix). Or, you can use your favorite homemade French onion soup recipe as a substitute.
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers. Just be sure to allow the chicken to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bags. It can be stored for up to three months. Also, just be aware that the sauce will tend to separate once it is reheated – you’ll just need to gently whisk it and at will come back together.
If you like this recipe and want more easy slow cooker freezer meal ideas, check out these other options:
- 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Caesar Chicken
- Pesto Ranch Chicken
- Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
- Sesame Orange Chicken
- Cranberry Catalina Chicken
- Copycat Cafe Rio Chicken
Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 10.5oz can condensed French Onion Soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add chicken to a gallon-size zip-top freezer bag.
- In medium bowl, gently whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into bag on top of chicken breasts.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal the bag. Label with name of dish and date it was made.
- Place flat into freezer to freeze.
- The night before, remove frozen bag from freezer and place into refrigerator to thaw overnight.
- The next morning, pour contents of bag into slow cooker or crock pot.
- Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours, or on HIGH for 2-3 hours.