This one is adapted from Chef Tess’s version of this meal. My family doesn’t like mushrooms, and I substituted the chicken TVP chunks in place of the freeze-dried chicken. One of the things that I love about these meals is how customizable they are! Feel free to sub out different vegetables or mix up the ratios – I think this would be great with extra freeze-dried carrots in place of the peas, or go with extra corn.
Creamy Chicken Veggie Casserole
- 1 3/4 cup egg noodles
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried vegetable mix
- 1 cup freeze-dried chicken chunks or chicken TVP
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried peas
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated minced onions
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup cheese powder
- 1/3 cup non-fat dry powdered milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream powder
- 1/4 cup butter powder
- Put all ingredients into a quart-size wide-mouth mason jar and shake to settle contents.
- Place new canning lid on top of jar. Using wide-mouth attachment for a FoodSaver, vacuum seal lid onto jar following instructions from your FoodSaver manual. (You can also insert an oxygen absorber before putting on lid if you'd like.)
- Remove vacuum attachment and put ring on. Tighten by hand, but don't over tighten.
- Label and date. Store in cool, dry location.
- Gently pry lid off of jar and discard. Remove oxygen packet (if used). Empty contents of jar into casserole dish. Add 4 cups hot water and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.