Potato Sausage Cheese Casserole in a Jar
This Potato Sausage Cheese Casserole in a Jar great for dinner or breakfast! I originally made it with sausage tvp, but have since used freeze-dried sausage crumbles because I was able to get them at a discount. You could also make it with freeze-dried ham if you have it, or freeze-dried bacon crumbles/bits.
I usually use my big #10 cans of dehydrated hash browns, but I’ve also found smaller containers of them at Costco. They come in a pack of about 8 I believe, and are packaged in cartons like you get whipping cream in. They work just fine if you don’t want to get an entire #10 worth. But, trust me, there are plenty of things you can use those hash browns for so a #10 can worth won’t go to waste. 😉 I love to add them to soups, pot pies, or even just fix them up for breakfast – my family really enjoys them.
Adapted from Chef Tess’s original recipe for this meal on her blog.
- 1 cup freeze-dried sausage crumbles (or sausage TVP)
- 2 cups dehydrated hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup cheese powder
- 1/3 cup sour cream powder
- 1 tablespoon dry minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Place all ingredients in order in a wide-mouth quart-size mason jar and shake contents gently to settle.
- Place new canning lid on top of jar. Using wide-mouth attachment for a FoodSaver, vacuum seal lid onto jar following instructions from your FoodSaver manual. (You can also insert an oxygen absorber before putting on lid if you'd like.)
- Remove vacuum attachment and put ring on. Tighten by hand, but don't over tighten.
- Label and date. Store in cool, dry location.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Empty contents of jar (minus oxygen packet if present) into large casserole dish. Add 5 cups hot water. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.
This works as breakfast or dinner - you can even substitute in freeze-dried ham or freeze-dried bacon crumbles for different options.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 1164mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only.