This is another great one from Chef Tess! At one point this was on her blog, but I’m unable to find a direct link to it anymore. She has since published a cookbook, The Meals in a Jar Handbook (affiliate link) – it is a great resource for more meal in a jar recipes! Many of her recipes are free online from her blog or from the Honeyville blog, but sometimes it is nice to have them all together in one place in a printed format. Plus, there are some in her book that are not available online.
I’ve modified this one for my family’s tastes, and for ease of making. My kids really liked this one, which is a bonus! 😉 I think this one is filling enough to be used as a main course, but it also makes a great side dish, or as a filling for burritos or enchiladas!
Meal in a Jar: Beefy Taco Rice
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried ground beef or beef TVP
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried diced bell peppers
- 1/2 cup dehydrated minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Chef Tess Southwest Fajita seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato powder
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon (powdered or granule)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Put all ingredients into a quart-size wide-mouth mason jar and shake to settle contents.
- Place new canning lid on top of jar. Using wide-mouth attachment for a FoodSaver, vacuum seal lid onto jar following instructions from your FoodSaver manual. (You can also insert an oxygen absorber before putting on lid if you'd like.)
- Remove vacuum attachment and put ring on. Tighten by hand, but don't over tighten.
- Label and date. Store in cool, dry location.
- Gently pry lid off of jar and discard. Remove oxygen packet (if used). On stovetop, in large pot or dutch oven, bring 5 1/2 cups of water to boil. Carefully pour in contents of jar. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 30 minutes until tender. Serve with cheese, sour cream or other favorite taco toppings. Also great served in tortillas as burritos!